Current:Home > reviewsSudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400 -FutureFinance
Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 12:34:18
At least 413 people have been killed in fighting in Sudan since violence broke out on April 15, according to the United Nations' World Health Organization, most of them civilians. One U.S. citizen is among those who've been killed, the State Department said Thursday, without providing further detail.
In his first statement since his disagreement with another commander engulfed Sudan in violence nearly a week ago, the head of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, said Friday that he was committed to a "safe transition to civilian rule" for the east African country, the Associated Press reported. The comments appeared to be a bid for international support as the deadly fighting between his forces and those of his now-rival, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, continued despite calls for a ceasefire to stop the bloodshed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
- 2 Sudan generals are at war with each other. Here's what to know.
Burhan and Dagalo, who commands Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), had been allies, joining forces to topple long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019. But a recent dispute over how to consolidate their two forces turned them against one another, leading to the current bloodshed, which three ceasefire attempts have now failed to halt.
A Sudanese medical group said "several areas of Khartoum were bombed" overnight as people marked the holiday, and there was ongoing "shelling and clashes," according to the AP.
"Instead of waking up to the call to prayer, people in Khartoum again woke up to heavy fighting," Endre Stiansen, Norway's ambassador to Sudan said Thursday. "Can any hell be more horrible than this?"
The sudden eruption of warfare in the country has left many other nations scrambling to try and ensure the safety of their citizens there.
The U.S. was "moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation," National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Thursday. He added that no decision had yet been made about evacuating U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, civilians caught up in the fighting were continuing to try to flee to safety.
"There is no safe place anymore in Khartoum," 37-year-old baker Dallia Abdelmoniem told the AP. She said her family decided to flee the capital after a rocket came through their roof.
From a shelter outside the city, she said the road leading out of Khartoum was covered with dead bodies.
"Our number one priority is just to stay alive," Abdelmoniem said.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (1932)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Louisville police major lodged the mishandled complaint leading to chief’s suspension, attorney says
- Decorated veteran comes out in his own heartbreaking obituary: 'I was gay all my life'
- 3 men convicted of murder in fatal shooting of high-profile crime reporter
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Sen. John Fetterman was at fault in car accident and seen going ‘high rate of speed,’ police say
- Jeannie Mai and Jeezy Finalize Divorce After Abuse Allegations
- Spoilers! Does this big 'Bridgerton' twist signal queer romance to come?
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Duke Energy power equipment in Durham found damaged from gunfire after power outage, police say
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- US submarine pulls into Guantanamo Bay a day after Russian warships arrive in Cuba
- Senators hopeful of passing broad college sports legislation addressing NCAA issues this year
- President Biden says he won’t offer commutation to his son Hunter after gun sentence
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Woman wins 2 lottery prizes in months, takes home $300,000
- Gov. Hochul considering a face mask ban on New York City subways, citing antisemitic acts
- France's Macron puts voting reform bid that sparked deadly unrest in New Caledonia territory on hold
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Pope Francis uses homophobic slur for gay men for 2nd time in just weeks, Italian news agency says
Kel Mitchell Says Dan Schneider Once Brought Him Into a Closet, Yelled Wild Stuff During Argument
Gamestop’s annual shareholder meeting disrupted after ‘unprecedented demand’ causes tech issue
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
These Gifts Say 'I Don't Wanna Be Anything Other Than a One Tree Hill Fan'
Wildfire claims 6 homes near Arizona town, shuts Phoenix-to-Las Vegas highway
Man charged with threatening FBI agent who had been involved in Hunter Biden laptop investigation